The UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) is a comprehensive medical insurance program offered to UCLA students. When a student requires care beyond CAPS’ scope of service, UC SHIP and CAPS provide medically-appropriate referrals to Behavioral Health Services (BHS), the Anthem network, and out-of-network providers. CAPS clinicians will assist students in determining the best referral on a case-by-case basis.
Behavioral Health Services is located in 300 Medical Plaza, in the Ronald Reagan Medical Center Neuropsychiatric Institute, just south of campus. Services include, but are not limited to, outpatient individual and group therapy office visits; psychiatry office visits; intensive outpatient programs; and a partial hospitalization program.
The large Anthem network is comprised of community mental health providers around the world, as well as near campus. Anthem in-network referrals include, but are not limited to, outpatient individual, couples, family and group therapy office visits; psychiatry office visits; intensive outpatient programs; and partial hospitalization programs.
Initiating Off-Campus Services
Students must obtain a referral from CAPS to initiate all mental health services, aside from emergencies. If you have a mental health emergency, please call 911 or go directly to your local ER without obtaining a referral.
In order to use UC SHIP insurance to pay for off-campus services, students must have a current referral. If you already have a plan to access care off campus and are in need of a referral, call CAPS to request your referral. If you are unsure of your treatment needs and options, please call CAPS to schedule a Triage Assessment and to speak to a triage clinician.
SHIP Mental Health Services Outside of the US
For more information on insurance, please head to the Ashe Center Insurance page .
BHS & SHIP-Anthem Fees for Mental Health Services
Please see below for a summary of BHS and Anthem fees. Percentages reflect co-insurance percentages of the Usual and Customary Rate that students are responsible for. See below for Anthem fees.
|Behavioral Health Services (BHS)||Tier 1 UC Family**||Tier 2 Anthem PPO In-Network Providers||Tier 3 Out-Of-Network***|
|Therapy and Psychiatry Outpatient Visits||$0||$0||$0||40%|
|Facility-Based Care (e.g. IOP, PHP)||$0||10%||$125+20%||$250+40%|
|Psychoeducational & Neuropsychological Testing*||Not available||10%||20%||40%|
|Deductible (combined medical and mental health)||$0||$0||$300 - waived for office visits||$500|
|Out-of-Pocket Maximum (combined with Medical Expenses)||Not available||$2,000/person or $4,000/family||$3,000/person or $6,000/family||$6,000/person or $12,000/family|
*One-time $3,000 benefit per lifetime of the policy. **UC Health Centers include providers associated with UC Medical Centers at UCSD, UCI, UCSF, and UCD. his does not include resident clinics whose tax ID #'s differ from any/all of the UC Medial Centers listed above. ***Provider fees may be higher than the Usual and Customary Rate.
SHIP-Anthem Referrals for Mental Health Services
- Referrals are valid for 12 months: Students should obtain a copy of their Anthem referral from CAPS to give to their off-campus provider. Students are responsible for renewing their referrals after 12 months and payment is not guaranteed if referrals are not renewed. Find a quick guide to benefits.
- If you have additional insurance: SHIP-Anthem may not cover your services off-campus if you have an additional insurance. If you have health insurance in addition to SHIP, please contact Anthem Member Services at (866) 940-8306 for guidance on how to proceed.
- Pre-authorization for care: Pre-authorization is required by SHIP-Anthem for some services, such as facility-based care. Your provider should call SHIP-Anthem at (800) 274-7767 to discuss pre-authorization needs.
- Coverage abroad: Your SHIP-Anthem insurance covers you when you are traveling abroad. If you are in need of mental health services while you are outside of the United States, you may call Anthem for assistance at (800) 810-2583.
When contacting Anthem, be sure to have your member ID beginning with 'XDP' available in order to assist them in locating your policy information. The XDP number is located on your SHIP-Anthem insurance card. You may also find it by downloading the Anthem mobile app .
Finding an Anthem Mental Health Provider
To find an in-network provider, call Anthem member services at 866-940-8306. You may also search the Anthem website. You can also get help finding a provider on the Anthem website. Some providers may request a copy of your referral, which you can obtain at CAPS.
Helpful Tips on Calling Providers
Start calling some of the providers on the list. You may need to call more than one person if the first person you try doesn’t call you back in 24-48 hours. If you need a therapist and a psychiatrist, you will need to call both types of providers.
- Providers almost never pick up the phone. You will need to leave a message with your phone number and a good time to reach you.
- Set-up your voicemail so that you don’t miss a call back. Most therapists won’t email or text to schedule an initial appointment.
- When you leave a message or talk to the therapist, ask if the therapist is accepting new clients, tell him or her what kind of insurance you have, and say something about what has been bothering you that has led you to call the office.
What’s the Difference between the Kinds of Providers?
Common licenses for psychotherapy providers include all of the following:
- PhD and PsyD (psychologist with a doctorate)
- LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker)
- LMFT (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist)
- LPCC (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor)
Despite these different names, all of these providers work with clients with a variety of concerns. Psychiatrists (MD’s) prescribe medications, and some also provide therapy.
Out-of-network services also require a CAPS Brief Screen and referral, which must be renewed every 12 months. Please note that when using an out-of-network provider, the full fee is required at the time of service and you are responsible for submitting claims to Anthem for reimbursement. Provider fees may be higher than the Usual and Customary Rate. To request reimbursement, first obtain a referral from CAPS and then submit the Anthem Member Claim Form and provider bills to Anthem.
Retroactive Referrals to SHIP-Anthem
In the event that you have received services without having obtained a referral from CAPS, you may request retroactive reimbursement by completing the Retroactive Referral Request for Mental Health Services Form, or you can pick-up the form from the CAPS front desk.
- For retroactive referral consideration, please file your claim 11 months from the date of service.
- All students requesting Retroactive Referrals must have had a minimum of a CAPS Brief Screen in the preceding 6 months.
- The Retroactive Referral process at CAPS can take up to 30 days for review. If your request is approved, it is sent to Anthem for processing and additional time will be required. Please note that receipt of a referral from CAPS does not guarantee payment from SHIP-Anthem.
- You will be notified via secure message if your request has been accepted or denied. If you receive an approval, you can then submit a claim to SHIP-Anthem. You can find the Member Claim form.
SHIP-Anthem Contact Info
- Member Services: 866-940-8306
- Coverage While You are Travelling Abroad: 800-810-2583
- Provider Pre-Authorization for facility-based care: 800-274-7767
- Mail: Anthem Blue Cross PO Box 60007 Los Angeles, CA 90060
- Anthem Behavioral Health Case Management Department: 866-785-2789
Want More Information about your UC SHIP Insurance Coverage?
- Get info online
- Visit the SHIP Insurance office: The Ashe Center, 1st & 4th Floors
- By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Phone: 310-825-4073, Option 4
- By Fax: 310-206-1651